Topic: Installed fine, but will not connect :(

Hello -- I just installed MySecureServer on  OS X Leopard (10.5.7)

Installed fine.  In the wizard I selected a folder, and created a new user with password.  When I try to SFTP in, it will not accept the password for the new user.

UPDATE: I installed Workgroup Manager (Apple Server Administration Tools), and was able to change one existing user to /bin/MySecureShell and that seemed to work.  But why can I not create a user that works correctly from within MySecureShell?

Re: Installed fine, but will not connect :(

Hi worldpoop !

With SSH, you can't have a virtual account. You need to have a real one, that's why the user must really exist.

deimos wrote:

With SSH, you can't have a virtual account. You need to have a real one, that's why the user must really exist.

Thank you, deimos!!  Actually, I neglected to report more details -- that before I installed Server Admin Tools to use Workgroup Manager as a workaround solution...

In MySecureShell GUI none of OS X usernames appeared in the wizard dropdown menu.  So I had tried specifying one of the existing usernames and password, but it gave me an error and wouldn't accept it.  Then I tried to specify a brand new username and password, which it DID accept it.  But then login for that new username did not work (as now I have learned why from you).  So then in system preferences in OS X I created that username, but I STILL could not SFTP in with that. 

At some point MySecureShell froze.  I force-quit it.  Then forevermore I was locked out of MySecureShell easysetup GUI with some strange screen wanting me to log in to it.  (What was that??).  That's when I deleted the new usename from OS X, uninstalled MySecureShell, installed Apple Server Admin Tools, reinstalled MySecureShell, then in Workgroup Manager changed a user setting from "/bin/bash to "/bin/MySecureShell" (all based on info I found while surfing the net for a solution), then in the MySecureShell wizard selected that username which now appeared (for some reason)... and phew!  Jailed SFTP login worked! :)

Is there an out-of-the-box solution when one installs MySecureShell for OS X?  Did I miss a step early on that would have made this easy?

Hi !

Do you have Sun Java installed ? We encountered some problems with the Java of Apple and I wonder if this won't resolve your problem.

The GUI could be buggous with other JVM like.

Keep us informed.

Thanks

Okay, maybe I'm a little slower than worldpoop, but how do I configure a user in Workgroup Manager to enable it to login?

I changed the /bin/bash/ but I still can't get the user to login...

6 (edited by worldpoop 2009-08-27 17:59:03)

deimos wrote:

Hi !

Do you have Sun Java installed ? We encountered some problems with the Java of Apple and I wonder if this won't resolve your problem.

The GUI could be buggous with other JVM like.

Keep us informed.

Thanks

Oops, sorry, I missed your response way back when, deimos!  It took Beholder to lure me back here smile   I have never installed Sun Java so I assume the environment is Apple's Java.  Interesting.   Anyway, the round-about path of the previous post got me there.  I'll try Sun Java install first if/when I try this on another machine.

BEHOLDER:  I created a new full user just for this purpose in normal way, then in Workgroup Manager changed the path for that user.  I don't remember any other configurations, but I'll have to look to see if there is something else that would make a difference -- right now I don't think so.

Well, I just created a brand new user, changed /bin/bash to a custom /bin/MySecureShell and still get nothing.

I also don't have any of my users appear in the "list of users" in the GUI.

sftp-verif says everything is ok

the server appears to be on-line

I can't even login on the localhost or internal IP....

I'm really at a loss any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Beholder wrote:

Well, I just created a brand new user, changed /bin/bash to a custom /bin/MySecureShell and still get nothing.

I'm really at a loss any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know that I'm going to be much help, newbie as I am.  But some random thoughts, maybe one is in the ballpark

- Does non-jailed login work for any user?  ... that is, before you change /bin/bash to /bin/MySecureShell?  If not, then general login needs trouble-shooting first, outside of anything related to MySecureShell.  Start as simple as network services and sharing.

- What version of OS X are you using?  I think 10.5.7 is the lowest that will work.  (Also, snow Leopard update, coming soon, I think will have jailed sftp as a feature.)

- Really off the path -- the 10 series beta of Opera has a nifty and ridiculously easy way of sharing individual directories from you computer, any platform, password protected.  (It's free, and free of ads too.  I don't know if/how it is encrypted.)  http://unite.opera.com/

Well, my machine is pretty locked down, so testing users is kinda tough, I only normally allow AFP on my internal network. I don't allow outside access, but I could look into it...

I've got the latest version of Leopard, but it's on a G5, so snow leopard isn't an option.