Topic: Ubuntu apt-get upgrade, differencies between releases, cfg files,...

Hi there,

firstly I want to thank you for sharing MySecureShell with us - it was just the thing I was looking for - for my webserver where I offer hosting to my friends and I want their connections to be secure as possible (instead of ftp...). It works great and they are totaly seperated.

Regarding the topic subject I want to ask you the following;

how can we, ubuntu users, upgrade MSS via apt-get ?

Is it possible via apt-get or must we do it manually?

If we do it manually - do we have to worry about current config files we have made? Will they be overwritten or will they stay intact?

And my last question - where do we find changes between the new and the previous version of MSS (so that we know why the upgrade is necessary?

Thank you again for the great work you have done with MSS and am looking forward to your answers on my questions if you will be so kind.

Kind regards!

Re: Ubuntu apt-get upgrade, differencies between releases, cfg files,...

Hi,

We support repository for Debian / Ubuntu / Centos / Fedora, take a look at:
http://mysecureshell.sourceforge.net/en/installpak.html

For the changelog, you can see it here : http://mysecureshell.sourceforge.net/en/history.html

Like all Ubuntu packages when you upgrade, the installer ask if you want default config file or keep your existing config file.

Hello there,

MSS Ubuntu repository seems to be empty: I found nothing at the following URL

http://mysecureshell.free.fr/repository/index.php/ubunt

So I jumped to the download/files section. But it only offers Ubuntu 10.10 packages. Since Ubuntu 8.04 is LTS too, I guess many of us would be interested in this release as well  wink

Hi,

No the url is protected, you can't see files... but it work smile

The package for Ubuntu 10.10 works for Ubuntu 8.04 ?

teka wrote:

Hi,
No the url is protected, you can't see files... but it work smile

Ah... ok.  wink

teka wrote:

The package for Ubuntu 10.10 works for Ubuntu 8.04 ?

As far as I can see it does not.

Running "apt-get upgrade" leaves the package untouched.

dpkg --install says that "libssl0.9.8" should be >=0.9.8m whereas 8.04 current version is 0.9.8g

Forcing installation of then v1.25 for Ubuntu 10.10 deb package on Ubuntu 8.04 broke my running installation of Mysecure 1.20. Since I was unabled to find the deb package of MSS 1.20 on the official web site (neither on the "hidden" repository  roll ) for a roll back, I was screwed. I strongly discouraged everyone to do so...

To fix it I desinstalled everything, compiled 1.25 on a 8.04 virtual machine, copied the compiled result on my server and ran the install.sh script. I was not to confident about this procedure but it worked fine. Now I have a nice MSS 1.25 up and running on my Ubuntu 8.04 working server.

There is no special stuffs to do for compiling.

Just do "./configure && make all && ./install.sh en" smile